Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11 Ten Years Later

It's been ten years since the terrorist attacks in NYC, at the Pentagon, and in a field in Pennsylvania.
People flew their flags proudly.

My boys showed their support for NY.

I can't believe it's been ten years. It still seems like yesterday. I can't begin to know what the families of the victims have/are going through. What a horrible time. I was 4 months pregnant with Quinn. Riley was a happy 3 year old. I had gotten up that morning, to get ready for work. I was teaching 2nd grade. I don't think I had turned the TV on in the morning. My mother called to tell me to turn on the news, which I did. It was horrifying. My mom called back to beg me not to fly out the next morning. Kevin, Riley and I were headed to Connecticut (via Dulles Airport in DC), with Kevin's parents. We were going to an anniversary party. I watched what news I could, and then went to work. I don't know why school wasn't cancelled that day. It was horrible. We couldn't talk about it with the kids, and had to act like it was business as usual. I couldn't wait for the day to end, so that I could go home and be with my own family. We did not end up taking that trip. All flights were grounded. Quinn was 18 months when we finally did make the trip to Connecticut. We made a trip into NYC for the day, with Riley. We went to Ground Zero. It was just so sad, so horrifying. As painful as it was for all US citizens to take in, nothing can compare to what family members felt and must still feel. Those people who died will never be forgotten.

No comments: