Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Tuesday's Almost Over

OMG, what a crazy day! I swear my classroom phone did nothing but ring today at school. Lots of calls: would I take one of the other teacher's classes on my prep, because he overslept? Sure. Do I have any movies appropriate for kindergarten? Yes. Could you bring the movies over here, I have kids? Sure. Can I see (blank) to check his resource goals? Sure. Do you know there's an emergency union meeting today about the tentative contract? I do now. Etc. Oh my. It all seems so rush rush this week. I have a significant amount of work left to do in my classroom, to get it ready for the summer. It's been a slow process, but I did defrost my fridge. That was a mess. My plan is to get everything done tomorrow-well, basically I have to as my check out time is 9 am on Thursday morning. It will get done, and I will be less fussy. I promise.
I finished the doll for my friend's grand baby. I'm not happy with her arms.
Presents for the boys' teachers. I ordered oilcloth lunch bags, from RickRackQueen, on Etsy. I also ordered them a set of three reusable snack bags, also made of oilcloth, from the same seller. Do you know about oilcloth? It's really cool. I love it. I have some, and I made a tote with it, but it's kind of hard to sew with. I think I could do a better job sewing it with my new sewing machine, as it has a walking foot. My MIL says that may work better. Anyway, these bags are really cool.

Here's a close up of the lunch bag. It's quite roomy inside too.

Word of the Day: Ireallyhategoingtothepostoffice. (BIG word), I know! I had to go to the post office today for postcard stamps. I tried the mail center at Long's first, but the girl there was absolutely clueless about WHAT a postcard stamp even was! I attract these people, I swear! I explained that they are like regular stamps, but cheaper as they are made for postcards. I left. She didn't know. So, since that was a bust, I had to go to the post office. Once there I thought, "well, I'll just use the vending machine to get them." WRONG! The vending machine sells books of regular stamps. It also gives you the option to buy stamps according to denomination. Great you say? It would have been, had I known how much IT COSTS to mail a postcard ($.28)! I then had no choice but to stand in the giant line. I got my postcard stamps after waiting entirely too long, and headed to my emergency union meeting. What do I need the postcard stamps for? Well, obviously for mailing postcards. I had each of my students decorate a plain postcard for me. I will give it back to them tomorrow, with my address on it, and...wait for it...a stamp! That way they can mail it to me this summer to tell me what they are doing. Hey, it's better then giving 20 kids my phone number! Can you imagine that? Maybe you can't, but rest assured, if they had my phone number, there would be endless conversations about Pokemon cards, puppies, or how many times they went to Target. This is all fascinating stuff, but I do have a life to lead, and can't be answering the phone all the time. They will have my address to write me (building skills!) and the parents have my email.

2 comments:

Sheri said...

I love the dolls face....how did ya do that? That is the one thing that is preventing me from doing more with my Sizzix... faces...can't do them.

I told ya...Sunol's post office is the BEST...even worth the drive because the Fremont PO is so HORRIBLE!

Teri said...

Our post office here is absolutely wretched. No matter what time of day, year or century, that place is always SOOOOOOO slow. There can be only 2 people ahead of me and I still have to wait for 20 minutes. Yuck.