Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Could it be Spring?

Can you see?

Do you see those white topped trees? I think they are white cherry blossoms, but they might not be. I don't know much about plants/trees. All I know is they are beautiful. This is the Safeway parking lot in Newark. The trees go on for days. I took this picture quickly because I was getting really strange looks. I may go back to the other end of the lot for another picture, because they really are quite a sight. They make me smile, even if they make me sneeze.

Word for the day: Think. I have this calendar on my desk at school. It's one of those calendars in which you rip off a page each day. It's all about being a teacher. I got it for Christmas from a little girl in my class. The kids love me to rip off the page and read it to them. Some days it's fine, usually a quote or a teaching tip. Other days, it's not appropriate to read aloud-here's an s
example: "What Teacher Says: Whenever I need help in class, I can always count on James to volunteer. He genuinely enjoys it. What Teacher Means: If the little punk doesn't stop sucking up to me, I'm going to throw a stapler at him." See why I can't share a page like that with the kids? It's funny though. Mean, but funny. It just is. Well, today I ripped off many pages-we hadn't gotten to it for awhile. While reading them, I came across the one for Feb.2. It made me think. "To see things in the seed, that is genius." It's a quote by Lao-Tzu. That sums up teaching for me. I may feel frustrated like the first page I shared, but in the end, I went into teaching to reach and teach the "seeds." Soon enough, my hard work will bloom, just like Spring. It's very rewarding.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you are a wonderful teacher!! I wish we lived there and Ava could be in your class :)