Monday, March 16, 2009

A Hiking We Went!

Yesterday, we went on a hike with the scouts. We hiked Coyote Hills, in search of geocaches. My father in law led the hike, mapping out locations for four caches. He brought his GPS devices and taught the kids to use them. They loved looking for the "treasure."
Here are the boys looking for the first cache. They found it. I won't tell you where, in case you are in the area and want to do some geocaching.
It's just too bad that the views from Coyote Hills SUCK! (Not!-remember that? Not? It was all the rage!) On this side of the giant "hill" we climbed, is the city of Fremont-all the way to those hills way over there. There's one tiny city in the middle of Fremont, but otherwise, this is all Fremont. The pointy peak up there, to the left, is Mission Peak. People can hike all the way to the top. I hear the view is spectacular. I wouldn't know. I've never done that hike. Attempted once with Kevin, when we were young, but we only made it halfway.
Here's the other side of the big "hill." That's the San Francisco Bay. To the right, across the water, is the city of San Francisco. It was not real clear. We could see the city, but it didn't show up well in these pictures. If I had taken my big camera, I could have gotten it. Alas, I just had my point and shoot camera.
One of the caches. It had pencils, erasers and stuff inside. The idea of doing geocaches is that you locate the cache, using coordinates on a map or GPS device. Inside the cache there's usually some kind of log to write in, and if you choose to take the treasure inside, you are supposed to leave a treasure in its place. It's pretty cool. My father in law was saying that the first one we found dated back 5 years!

When in doubt, grab Quinn for a picture. He's always willing.

Word for the day: Baseball. Quinn had a game tonight. His baseball skills are really improving! The whole team is doing well. If you are ever having a rotten day, go to a T-ball game. Guaranteed to make you smile.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. Nice pics!