Monday, May 4, 2009

Monday Night Baseball and Operation Gift Card Challenge!

Baseball is our life right now. It will be winding down pretty soon, but it's really been a great season! Great group of parents-tons of fun! Since Quinn has been sick, he's missed the last two games. It was back to business tonight though.
Quinn, on 3rd base. There's always time to pose, when you are a Lugnut! I mean that in the most loving way.
See these? Proof that a generic everyday gift card does exist! See "Word of the Day", below for the story behind these two lovelies! If you follow me on Facebook, or Twitter, sorry for the repetition. I said, sorry for the repetition.

Look at the Martha Stewart loveliness! I got this tonight, at Michael's. I had to go to get some-well, never mind what I had to get, you just can't know what I bought at Michael's tonight, not yet anyway. Mother's Day is coming! Anyway, I just liked this punch. I don't have any plans yet. It's just cute. Isn't it cute? 

Word of the Day: Gift Card (I know that's two). If you rammed it together, it could be one word...giftcard. I don't know. It doesn't look right. Anyway...There's a family at our school who lost everything, including their house, in a fire. It looks like it may have been arson. The staff at my school got together and contributed money, as well as other donations, to help the family. We raised a considerable amount of money. I went to Walmart today, to purchase a gift card for them, with the donation money. I had also planned on getting a Target gift card as well. I searched all over the Walmart store for a generic looking gift card. All I could find were "Congratulations!" "Happy Father's Day!" "Happy Birthday!" baby cards, wedding cards, graduation cards, reloadable cards. These choices seemed somewhat inappropriate-congratulations, your house burned down??? I don't think so. I searched several of their gift card areas near the registers. No generic cards. I finally picked up a reloadable one-for parents to reload for their kids (like in college etc.), and stood in line. It was a HUGE line (of course), and I was getting impatient (surprised?), and I had time to think. The more I thought about what the reloadable card might imply to this family, the more I thought it wasn't the message I wanted to send. I just wanted a basic gift card. It really made me mad that there wasn't a basic card to choose from. Not everything in life is all peachy-keen. Sometimes you just need a basic gift card, that speaks for itself. No celebration. I left, cursing Walmart as I went out the door. I went to Target-key the aha church music. I walked in the door, went straight to the register, and found two generic, everyday gift cards. Sold! Stupid Walmart. I then went home and sent them hate mail-they should respond in 24 hours. I will follow up tonight, by sending Target love mail. 

No comments: